Penguin Swings

In today's post, I've tried something different using some adorable digital images from Whimsy Stamps. I combined cutie  Penguin Swings with the Summer Meadows papers to create a scene using a window sheet as the front of my card. I love the way this turned out - to me Penguin looks like she is really flying through the air on her swing! Of course, I had to add a tree branch for a perfectly idyllic summer day.


I'll share with you step-by-step how I created this card below, but first, here is my Copic recipe for my design:

tree branch - E47, 27, 15, 23, 34, 31
penguin hat - YR23, Y26, 23, 21, 38, 35, 32, B01, 04, 12, V17, 15, 12, 01
penguin body - 100, C09, 07, 05, 00, N01, YR0000, 00, 16, 14, 21, E000
penguin top - V17, 15, 12, 01

Ready for the tutorial? Here we go!

The supplies you will need are:

5.5 x 6.5" card base (scored at 1" on one side), 5.5" square solid background paper and window sheet, 5-3/8" square patterned paper (Summer Meadows used here), 5.5 x 3" dotted paper (I cut mine with a scalloped edge), some ribbon, and your images.

First: paste your patterned paper to the solid background paper and adhered that to the card base, just like you would do with any typical card. Then, put some strong tape onto the top of the card base flap, as shown below.

If you flip the card base over, this is what it should look like with the tape:

Second: Adhere your window sheet to the strong tape. Be sure to line up your window sheet first, because if the tape is too strong you won't be able to readjust it.

Third: Now, it's time to attach your patterned paper to the front of the window sheet. This creates a nice "sandwich" for the window sheet, so that it's stable and can't separate from either the front or back of your card. So, you need to put some of that strong tape onto the front of your window sheet, as shown:

Now, attach your patterned paper so that it fully covers the white flap behind the window sheet, like so:
After you attach it to the front where you want it, it's easy to just bend it back and adhere the back flap.


Fourth: Now, all that's left to do is arrange your ribbon, tree branch, and penguin on the front of the window sheet. I first attached the ribbon, then the branch, and lastly the penguin.
I made sure the branch was high enough on the card so that you could still see the dotted scallop paper peeking out from below it. And it you draw your tree branch just right, you can intertwine it a bit with your ribbon, which is fun!

Fifth: Now, create a bow with your ribbon. I always attach mine with my handy-dandy glue gun.

Sixth: Now you can add any other embellishments that strike your fancy. My original design for this card required a LOT of die-cut leaves, but I liked my tree branch so much, I couldn't bear the thought of covering it up! So, I added just a few leaves for the final product:

I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial, and that you give the window sheet card front a go. Thanks for popping by today!

Comments

  1. So sweet of you, thanks Astrid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fab card! Thank you so very much for sharing at Whimsy, Jackie DT member xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! I had a lot of fun creating this! xo

      Delete
  3. This is so creative wow, and your tutorial rocks !! Fantastic work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Crissy! I hope I did your penguin justice! x

      Delete
  4. I am in love with this layout and your colouring! Thank you for sharing the tutorial too and for joining our challenge at Whimsy Stamps

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts